top of page

Financial support for carers

With the rise in the costs of living, it’s important to know what benefits there are for carers. Understanding what pots of money are available to help us care for a family member or friend.


Browse our financial support for carers guide to see what benefits can help those of us on a low income, working, or retired. Including help with debt, health costs and legal fees.

Illustration of man on computer.png

What benefits can I claim as a carer?

There are several benefits we can claim as a carer. Some of these are extra money to help us look after someone. We've created a simple Financial Checklist for carers which is a helpful list to see what we're entitled to.


 Caring for someone can mean that our households have additional costs or we have lost some of our previous income. What we can claim will depend on our personal situation:

1. Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is the main benefit for unpaid carers, provided by the Government. It is for those of us caring for over 35 hours per week (not studying full-time). And earning below £139 per week.


Carer’s Allowance counts as income for tax credits and unearned income for universal credit. Claiming it may affect other benefits that we are on (such as Universal Credit). 


2. Carer’s Credit

Carer’s Credit is not ‘money’ but rather a National insurance credit. This counts towards our entitlement to other benefits (i.e. State Pension). It’s for those of us caring for at least 20 hours per week and under State Pension age (65 years). 


3. The Carer Element of Universal Credit

The ‘carer element’ of Universal Credit is an additional element of Universal Credit. This means we can receive this on top of our Universal Credit. It’s for those of us caring for at least 35 hours a week. The person we care for must be receiving one of these qualifying benefits.


The Turn2us Benefits Calculator can also give us a comprehensive benefits check in less than five minutes. If we’d like to speak to someone for more in-depth advice about our circumstances, we can reach out to our local Citizens' Advice Bureau


4. Additional grants from local councils

We’ve listed the main benefits for carers that are worth looking into. However, many local carers centres and councils are able to offer grants for carers. These might include ‘healthy living’ or ‘respite' grants. As well as a ‘Carer’s Assessment’ to help us identify and fill in the gaps in our caring needs. Which can include financial support. 


Use this nifty tool to find your local carers’ centre and get in touch with them to see what benefits or grants they have access to. 


5. The Household Support Fund 

The Government announced a Household Support fund last year to help cover the costs of basic essentials during winter. It supports vulnerable and low-income households in the form of small grants or vouchers distributed from our local council.


We can find out more about the Household Support fund by getting in touch with your local council

6. Cost of Living Payments 2023

If we're from a low-income household or are on DWP benefits, we could expect a cost of living payment, with the next one being paid between the 31st of October 2023 and the 19th of November 2023. There will also be extra financial support for disabled people, and for pensioners.

Payments released by the UK government include:

Cost of Living Payment

This will be paid in three installments across the financial year if we're receiving any of the following benefits: 

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

  • Income Support

  • Pension Credit

  • Universal Credit

  • Child Tax Credit

  • Working Tax Credit

What is the cost of living payments 2023?

  1. The first payment will be £301 (paid between 25th April 2023 and 17th May 2023)

  2. The second payment will be £300 (paid between 31st October 2023 and 19th November 2023)

  3. The third payment will be £299 (paid during Spring 2024)

Disability Cost of Living Payment

This is a £150 one-off payment and we (or the person we care for) may be eligible if we're receiving any of the following:

  • Attendance Allowance

  • Constant Attendance Allowance

  • Disability Living Allowance for adults

  • Disability Living Allowance for children

  • Personal Independence Payment

  • Adult Disability Payment (in Scotland)

  • Child Disability Payment (in Scotland)

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

  • War Pension Mobility Supplement

The DWP has recently announced that this will be paid automatically over a two-week period between the 20th of June and the 4th of July.

Pensioner Cost of Living Payment

If we’re eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment for this winter, we will automatically get an extra £150 or £300 paid with our normal payment from November 2023.

How much we receive will depend on whether we were born before the 24th of September 1957, and our circumstances during the qualifying dates.

Usually, we'll be sent a letter in October or November telling us how much Winter Fuel Payment we’ll get if we’re eligible.

7. Social Prescribing

Some GPs have started offering "Social Prescribing" which involves helping patients to improve their health and wellbeing by connecting them to community services, which might be run by the council or local charity. This might be called something else where you live but it was worth checking.


The potential benefits here, are that sometimes the social prescription might be something free or subsidised to support our health. Carers have told us they have benefited from things such as free gym passes or a weight watchers membership, for example.


One carer said she was even able to get extra care hours and some money to pay for travel to hospital appointments.


It will vary depending on what has been set up in our own areas, but worth enquiring about.

For carers
Carer's Allowance
Carer's Credit
Cost of living payments

Benefits for carers unable to work

1. Carer’s Allowance 

If we are not working, we may be eligible for Carer’s Allowance to help with the cost of caring. This is £76.75 a week and the person we care for does not have to be related to us. It can include a friend or neighbour. So long as we are caring for 35 hours or more a week.

Illustration of woman sitting in her home.png

2. Blue Badge 

If we, or the person we care for is disabled, including a hidden disability we may be eligible for a Blue Badge. A Blue Badge can give us access to larger parking bays, and often allows us to park closer to our destination so we don’t have to walk (or push!) too far. In some areas we may be able to avoid paying parking fees or congestion charge with a Blue Badge. 

Check your eligibility using our simple free tool.

Non-working carers

Benefits for working carers

Working carers are also entitled to some caring benefits. Understanding what we’re eligible for and being aware of the its overall impact on our finances is important. Our guide to unpaid caring and work explains the implications of our working hours on Carer’s Allowance and Universal Credit.

Can we care and work?

Illustration of two women in office.png

1. Carer’s Allowance

If we’re working and earn less than £139 per week (after eligible deductions), we may be eligible for Carer’s Allowance.  Use our simple checker to find out today


If we’re earning more than this, take a look at our guide, ‘Can we care and work?’, which takes us through helpful things like eligible deductions, which might bring our earnings within the threshold.


2. Universal Credit

If we’re working and on a low income, we may be entitled to Universal Credit. This is a monthly payment paid by the Government.


Money Helper has a useful guide, explaining everything we need to know about Universal Credit. With this, we may also be entitled to the ‘carer element of Universal Credit’. 


3. Carer’s Credit

If we’ve had to reduce our working hours to provide at least 20 hours a week of care, we may not be earning enough to contribute to National Insurance. To fill this gap and ensure we’ll still be entitled to our State Pension, we may be eligible for Carer’s Credit. This helps to protect our State Pension.

Working carers

Benefits for those over state pension age and caring

1. Pension Credit

If we are 65 years (or over) and on a low income, Pension Credit can support us with housing costs. If we have a severe disability ourselves and are in receipt of a qualifying disability benefit, we may also receive an additional £76.75 a week. 


How much we receive will also depend on whether we are single or not

Our Pension Credit may also increase if we are eligible for Carer’s Allowance

Illustration of three friends copy.png

2. Carer’s Allowance

We can only receive Carer’s Allowance if our State Pension is less than Carer’s Allowance (i.e. less £76.75 a week). If it’s less than this amount, Carer’s Allowance will top up the difference to total £76.75 weekly. 


Unfortunately, if our State Pension is over this weekly threshold, we’ll not be entitled to Carer’s Allowance.

Stage Pension age

Benefits for the person we care for

1. Attendance Allowance

If the person we care for is over State Pension age (65 or over), they may be eligible for Attendance Allowance to help with day-to-day living costs. Our comprehensive carers’ guide to Attendance Allowance, details how carers can help them fill out an application. 


2. Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a monthly payment for disabled children and adults 16+.

3. Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a monthly payment for children with a disability under the age of 16.


Council tax discounts for carers

Illustration of a man in kitchen.png

As carers we may be able to get a council tax reduction.


The council tax discount is dependent on whether we live in the same house as the person we care for, or separately.

Check out our ‘discounts for carers’ guide to find out if you’re eligible and how you can apply.

Money off gas and electricity for carers

The UK Government has extended the Energy Price Guarantee up until the end of June 2023. What does this mean? 


We can expect the average household energy bill for dual-fuel gas and electricity to be around:

  • £2,500 per year in Great Britain

  • £2,109 per year in Northern Ireland

Remember, this is an average and so depends on the size of our home and how much energy we use. From June 2023, this will increase to £3,000 in the UK. 

Heating benefits in the UK 

In the UK, there are three different heating benefits to support us and the person we care for through winter. Each with their own eligibility criteria. Find out if you’re eligible and how to apply.


Free annual gas checks

If the person we care for is in receipt of a disability benefit, they may also be entitled to a free annual gas safety check.


Grants to help with energy debts

If we’re in debt to our energy supplier, energy providers such as British Gas offer Independent Advice and support. Our energy supplier may be able to offer grants so it’s worth checking with them. For example, British Gas Energy Trust offers grants schemes that are open to everyone even if we’re not a customer.

View the list of other energy suppliers that are offering grants.

Help with paying the water bill

The Big Difference Scheme can offer those of us who are Severn Trent customers with incomes below £21,048 a reduction on our water bills.


Watersure is another scheme that helps those who use a lot of water due to medical conditions, with the water bills. To apply, we must be receiving an eligible benefit

Council tax
Gas and electric

Financial help with debt

If we find ourselves in a difficult situation regarding our finances, here are some useful resources that may help;

  • StepChange is a debt charity that provides free debt advice online, supporting you throughout the entire process.

  • National Debt Line offers debt management advice, which covers advice on many situations such as utility arrears, council arrears or overdrafts.

Illustration of man planning.png

Help with healthcare costs

1. Funding for NHS Continuing Healthcare

If the person we are caring for has a long-term complex health need, the NHS may be able to fund for the continuing healthcare. How much funding we get will vary for everyone and depends on the needs of the person we care for. 


The UK Care Guide has a great introduction to NHS Continuing Healthcare.


2. Funding from your councils

Our carers’ guide to getting paid home care includes information on how our council can help us pay for a paid carer following a needs assessment.


Including, funding through Direct Payments and Personal Budgets (for things like gym memberships, relaxation classes, stress management classes, tools and materials for hobbies, or a new laptop to stay in touch with friends and family).


3. The NHS Low Income Scheme

The NHS Low Income Scheme covers prescription costs, dental costs, eye care costs or healthcare travel costs. We can apply to the scheme online or by post.


4. Funding for leaving the hospital homecare support

Our carer’s guide to leaving the hospital includes five different funds for free care after we bring the person we care for home from hospital. 


5. Free NHS Flu vaccinations for carers

When we register as a carer at our GP, (simply by filling in a carer’s registration form) we will be able to receive free flu vaccinations from pharmacies


In some cases, we can also receive free things, such as a dossette box with Simple Online Pharmacy, or free delivery with NHS prescriptions with Pharmacy2.

In fact our local pharmacy can help in lots of ways. Make sure you're making the most of the support your pharmacy can offer.

6. Free prescriptions 

If the person we are caring for meets any of these criteria, they may be able to get free prescriptions from the NHS. 


7. Disability-related expenses

If the person we care for has a mobility-related disability or ‘hidden disability', a Blue Badge can help in many ways. 

From being exempt from paying vehicle tax to 100% discount off congestion charge, take a look at our guide ‘Blue Badges, made simple’ to find out how a Blue Badge can benefit you and the person you care for.

Healthcare costs

Help with with legal costs for carers

As carers, we may face some legal challenges. If you are struggling to understand any concepts or are feeling stuck, don’t try to tackle it on your own.


It’s always worth getting third-party advice, particularly from an organisation or charity that specialises in a particular topic.

Illustration of two people chilling outdoors.png

1. Lasting power of attorney fees

There is a registration fee of £82 per Lasting Power of Attorney in England and Wales. 


This £82 fee can be waved if the person we care for (i.e. the ‘donor’) is receiving a means-tested benefit. We can view the full list of these benefits on page 2.


2. Charities can offer free legal advice 

Many condition-specific charities such as the Down’s Syndrome Association and the SOS SEN can give carers free legal advice on any specific challenges we’re currently facing. 

Our Condition Specific guide, may be a helpful starting point.

Legal costs

Funding for respite

There are different ways carers can get funding for respite (also known as breaks). Respite can look different, depending on our needs. It might be paid carers coming into our home to look after the person we care for, or funding for us to take a break away from our home, or a short break for the person we care for at a respite home.


Carer’s Assessment

Our local authority and council have a statutory duty to ensure that as carers, our wellbeing needs are met to ensure we can continue to provide care without burning out


A Carer’s Assessment with our local carers centre or council is carried out to identify and meet these needs. And from this, they can provide respite grants for example to ensure we have the break we need.


It can also include providing us with Direct Payments which can be used to pay for carers (therefore giving us a break). 


We’ve come up with 10 lists of questions to help you prepare for your Carer’s Assessment so you don’t miss anything! 

In our comprehensive carers’ guide to respite, we also list the different types of funding available for respite services and some suggestions where respite is free for carers.


Help with the cost of education

If we are a young carer, either in part-time or full-time education, there is financial support for available

1. Young carer grant (Scotland only) 

In Scotland, carers aged 16, 17, or 18 caring for at least 16 hours a week may be entitled to an additional £325.65 a year. This is known as the Young Carer Grant. Find out how to apply here.

2. Extra funding for student carers

If we are caring and in full-time education, there is extra funding for student carers.

Illustrations of friends catching up.png

Our '10 top tips for young adult carers off to university' provides more in-depth information on these types of financial support including Young Adult Carer Bursaries.

3. Disabled Student’s Allowance 

The Disabled Students’ Allowance is for those of us with a mental health diagnosis, or any other disability. It helps to pay for any study-related costs because of this and we do not need to pay it back.

4. Carers Scholarship Fund

Every year, the Open University offers a Carers Scholarship Fund, allowing carers to study an OU qualification for free. We must be looking after someone for an average of 15 hours a week, live in the UK, and can provide proof such as an eligibility benefit or letter from the GP


Applications for this have closed on 24th June 2022 but do check again for 2023 applications.  


Don't forget to take some time to step back

With the rising costs of living, it can be difficult to feel at ease with the unknown. It's so important that we take care of ourselves. This may include talking through how we're feeling with a friend, family member or another supportive person. Carers’ centres often have someone we can talk to.


Sometimes taking a step back to recharge is what we need at the moment. 

Talking about finances can also get super complicated. Feel free to join our online cuppa for unpaid carers where we ask all sorts of questions, share tips. 

Mobilise Pink Blob.png

Are you looking after a family member
or friend?

We're a community of carers sharing a weekly email of practical tips and content to help each other care and thrive. 

bottom of page